The Royal Guard
I recolored the concept art to reflect my reimagining after being inspired by the bright solarpunk future. I made it a little rustic to reflect reuse and an appreciation of aesthetic imperfections similar to Wabi-sabi.

I recolored the concept art to reflect my reimagining after being inspired by the bright solarpunk future. I made it a little rustic to reflect reuse and an appreciation of aesthetic imperfections similar to Wabi-sabi.

This is a polished brass material and it may need adjustments. It uses the PBR value range that I found but when rendered it looks very gold so I may need to so some adjusting once I get it into Unreal. I do like a bright brass though.

This is a polished brass material and it may need adjustments. It uses the PBR value range that I found but when rendered it looks very gold so I may need to so some adjusting once I get it into Unreal. I do like a bright brass though.

Paint material with obvious brush strokes. This tiles very well and I used it for the painted ivory metal texture on the bot.

Paint material with obvious brush strokes. This tiles very well and I used it for the painted ivory metal texture on the bot.

Dirt material which you can see splattered subtly on the bottom of the bot's legs, arms, and body.

Dirt material which you can see splattered subtly on the bottom of the bot's legs, arms, and body.

Originally the entire bot was an ivory recycled plastic but I ended up preferring the painted metal for a royal guard look. I admire the material too much to leave it out of this post.

Originally the entire bot was an ivory recycled plastic but I ended up preferring the painted metal for a royal guard look. I admire the material too much to leave it out of this post.

The Royal Guard

I textured this Imperial Guard type bot for a royal family in a solarpunk world. I wanted it to be ostentatious, yet menacing, while still being the sort of bot one would not be completely surprised to find at the right hand of the heir to the throne. The bot would guard them as they enjoyed themselves in their domed pleasure garden as often as they were out attending their diplomatic duties.

I created the main materials used for the bot in Substance Designer. I textured the bot in Substance Painter and painted in height map details there as well. My main concern was adding the graphic embossing on the mask and keeping the colors similar to what I imagined in the reworking of the original concept.

Ben Keeling, my instructor for the class at CGMA modeled the robot mesh and created the maps, and provided invaluable guidance to me as I learned how to use the software. The class was challenging, and very worth the effort as I've now learned Marmoset Toolbag 4, Substance Painter, and Substance Designer.

More artwork
Camille meehan camille meehan artstation portfolio teethtomestrufflesCamille meehan camille meehan brick thumbnail